Kids should be able to go outside and enjoy their neighborhoods - but not without knowing how to stay safe. Even in the safest of neighborhoods, dangers exist. From being aware of strangers and other dangerous activities to learning how to stay safe while riding bikes and playing outside, kids must stay alert and understand what it takes to stay safe. Parents can help kids stay safe by going over basic rules and safety tips, as well as helping them get to know the ins and outs of their neighborhood.Learning the Neighborhood
One of the first steps to neighborhood safety is learning the neighborhood. Who are your neighbors? Where is it okay for kids to play? What do kids need to watch out for? When kids are familiar with their neighborhood, they not only feel safer, but they notice when things do not seem right and know what to do when problems arise.
- Raising Street-wise Kids - Kids can be taught how to sense danger and stay safe wherever they are in the neighborhood.
- Neighborhood Safety Guide - Whether playing in the woods, by water or near the street, this guide offers suggestions to help keep kids safe.
- A National Study of Neighborhood Safety, Outdoor Play, Television Viewing and Obesity in Preschool Children - Pediatrics conducted research to determine if there was a link between neighborhood safety, obesity and other factors in children.
- Kidpower Answers for Parents of Small Children - Find answers to some common questions parents have about neighborhood safety.
Unfortunately, not all neighborhoods are crime free. However, through neighborhood watch programs and diligent neighbors, communities can effectively prevent violence and crime in their neighborhoods. Kids can do their part too by watching out for crime and learning what to do when they see something that doesn't seem right.
- Neighborhood Safety Tips for Kids and Caregivers - Both kids and their caregivers can find a list of tips to help them stay aware, two keys to keep them safe when they encounter strangers and other dangerous individuals in the neighborhood.
- McGruff the Crime Dog - McGruff offers games and advice to help kids learn to "take a bite out of crime."
- Community Violence: The Effects on Children - Learn about community violence and the dangers if poses for children.
- Violent Neighborhoods, Violent Kids - This report outlines common crimes causes by kids, their causes and how to prevent them.
- Making Children, Families and Communities Safer from Violence - Make your community safer with these tips.
- Neighborhood Gang Prevention and Awareness - Gangs can form in nearly any neighborhood, which means kids and parents must be aware.
The neighborhood playground is often a favorite place to hangout, but it can also be a dangerous place. Before playing, kids and parents should make sure the playground is safe to play on. If it is, kids should learn how to use the playground safely and avoid unpleasant trips to the emergency room.
- Hidden Dangers on the Playground - Check your local for these dangers that could harm kids.
- Playground Injuries Fact Sheet - Many children are injured on neighborhood playgrounds every year.
- Playground and Outdoor Play Safety - Follow these tips to make sure the equipment kids in the neighborhood are playing on is safe.
- Playground Safety - Learn how to prevent common playground injuries and keep kids in the neighborhood safe.
- Playground Safety: Tips for Kids - Kids can follow these tips to make sure they're using playground equipment safely.
Getting out and enjoying the neighborhood with their friends is important for kids. Whether walking or riding a bike, kids should know the rules and follow procedures to keep them from getting hurt. Adults in the neighborhood also need to be alert and take precautions to help keep all of the kids in the neighborhood safe.
- The Smart Route to Bicycle Safety - It may be fun to hop on a bike and ride around the neighborhood, but it's best to make sure kids are safe first.
- Bike Safety for Big Kids - A simple list of tips helps ensure kids stay safe while they ride.
- Road Services - Neighborhood Traffic Safety - Learn how to make the neighborhood safer as a driver, resident and parent.
- Pedestrian Safety for Big Kids - Kids also need to learn how to stay safe when walking or running around the neighborhood.