South San Francisco 65 Good
South San Francisco Livability #380 ranked city in California#11,544 ranked city in the USARanks better than 60% of areas

New Real Estate Listings in South San Francisco Area

Search Homes for Sale in South San Francisco, CA

Best Places to Live in and Around South San Francisco

See all the best places to live around South San Francisco

How Do You Rate The Livability In South San Francisco?

1. Select a livability score between 1-100
2. Select any tags that apply to this area
View results

Compare South San Francisco, CA Livability


      Living in South San Francisco, CA

      Located in the state of California, South San Francisco is a mid-sized city with a population of 66,587 residents. In South San Francisco, there are 7,255 people per square mile, which is well above the national population density average. Individuals of White (36%) and Asian (38%) backgrounds make up a significant portion of the population of South San Francisco. Additionally, more than a quarter of the population of South San Francisco are of Hispanic or Latino origin, and 25% of the population also speak Spanish. South San Francisco has a high percentage of people who are married with children when compared to the rest of the country. In total, more than 75% of the population is classified as married and 60% have kids.

      Whether you’re relocating to a new area to be closer to family, friends or for a new job, living in South San Francisco could be a positive experience compared to other cities in California if you know where to search. Don't forget to determine what matters most to you in a neighborhood. Consider factors such as safety, proximity to work or school, access to amenities (like parks, fitness facilities, grocery stores, restaurants), public transportation options, community atmosphere and the overall vibe you're looking for. With useful information like crime, cost of living, education, housing and other key data points, finding the best places to live in South San Francisco and in the areas around South San Francisco is a much easier task.

      South San Francisco has a livability score of 65/100 and is ranked #380 in California and #11,544 in the USA. If we dig down a little deeper into each category within the livability score, we see that South San Francisco has higher than average grades for the following: crime (B-). Unfortunately for South San Francisco, there are some categories for which it does not score well, this includes: amenities (F) and education (D-).

      Assuming that South San Francisco meets all of your requirements like low crime rates, good schools and great local amenities, the next most important item to examine is the affordability of real estate in South San Francisco. Everything else becomes a lot less important if it turns out that home prices in South San Francisco are simply unattainable. The median home price for South San Francisco homes is $644,500, which is 57.5% higher than the California average. If we take a closer look at the affordability of homes in South San Francisco, we’ll see that the home price to income ratio is 7.6, which is 18.8% higher than the California average.

      South San Francisco transportation information

      Statistic South San Francisco California National
      Average one way commute27min28min26min
      Workers who drive to work68.4%73.5%76.4%
      Workers who carpool11.3%10.6%9.3%
      Workers who take public transit13.4%5.2%5.1%
      Workers who bicycle0.6%1.1%0.6%
      Workers who walk2.8%2.7%2.8%
      Working from home2.6%5.4%4.6%

      Check Your Commute Time

      Monthly costs include: fuel, maintenance, tires, insurance, license fees, taxes, depreciation, and financing.
      Source: The South San Francisco, CA data and statistics displayed above are derived from the 2016 United States Census Bureau American Community Survey (ACS).